Einck updates on remodel/addition
Wed, 03/08/2023 - 2:26pm admin
CRESCO - Howard-Winneshiek CSD Superintendent Kris Einck started off his report by updating board members on the progress of the new addition and Capital Campaign, at the Feb. 15 meeting.
“Currently, the Cadet Capital Campaign Committee has raised $576,385. Our next meeting [was] Feb. 16. On Friday, Feb. 3 the Cadet Capital Campaign hosted a chili supper at the home basketball games against Waverly-Shell Rock. This was a free will donation. The revenues from the soup supper was $3,000.”
He reminded those at the meeting there is a Capital Campaign link on the home page of the district’s Webpage at www.howard-winn.k12.ia.us.
“This is a fluid document,” Einck said. It is being updated periodically.
With wrestling and basketball seasons coming to a close, those sports have been addressed first.
Einck encouraged anyone with questions regarding the remodelling and addition to talk to him or someone on the committee. If one person has a question, usually others have the same query.
One of the next events is a golf tournament on June 16.
An ALERRT (Advanced Law Enforcement Rapid Response Training) will be held during the professional learning day on March 13. It will include active shooter events.
School insurance from Wellmark increased 6.21%, and the Northeast Iowa Schools Insurance Trust trustees voted to buy down the increase through the side fund to 3.75%.
That is still higher than the 3% Supplemental State Aid that was passed by the Governor.
• The students are doing lots of fun and hands-on activities in elementary explained administrator Doug Sickles.
Preschool worked on a static electricity unit; kindergarten worked on decodable books with the new literacy curriculum; second grade learned about the War of 1812; fifth graders competed in the Flag Essay Contest; and sixth grade worked on the Holocaust in depth in Science/Social Studies classes.
• The Activity Director report was presented by Todd Coulter. He gave an update on winter sports for boys and girls wrestling and basketball.
• Director of Buildings and Grounds Report was presented by Larry Trende.
• There were no reports from Lisa Dursky, Secondary Principal; Brenda Lentz, Special Education; and Chad Jackson, Director of Transportation.
• The audit report of Hacker, Nelson & Co. was approved. Other items approved included the H-W Policy and Procedure Handbook; payments to Cresco Building Service for November and February; payment to Emergent Architecture; and school curriculum guide.
• Due to conflicts, the board meeting scheduled for April 17 will be moved to April 12 at 4:30 p.m. at NICC.