CUSB combines with Norman Borlaug Harvest Fest for 2023
Tue, 08/22/2023 - 4:58pm admin
CRESCO - Three days and four nights of fun are slated for the upcoming 2023 Norman Borlaug Harvest Fest celebration!
With CUSB also celebrating their 135th Anniversary, the financial establishment is combining with Harvest Fest in making the weekend even more special!
“We're very excited to celebrate 135 years of CUSB Bank on Aug. 26, in conjunction with Harvest Fest,” commented Katie Ferrie, who was part of the bank committee organizing the special day. “Our team has planned a country-western themed celebration to entertain our guests and feed them as well! We're so thankful for the patronage of our customers over the years and want to thank them by throwing a fun and free event for the whole family.”
Offered by CUSB
CUSB has “loaded up” Saturday, August 26, with plenty of food, activities and fun, not including what Harvest Fest already has to offer!
~ From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. they’ll be serving a choice of a ribeye, brat or hot dog, some chuckwagon beans, a pasta salad, chips, cookie and either a soda or water. The JR Brink Band will be featuring live music throughout the three hours.
~ For two hours, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., CUSB will open their doors to their newly remodeled Cresco location. The entire working space has been refreshed and will feature some beautiful old photographs of the area and Cresco community.
“Our first floor lobby area has completely changed,” stated Ferrie of the many changes that took place at the Cresco CUSB facility. “Our reception desk, waiting area, and teller line were completely redone. Two new offices and a safe deposit viewing room were added. New cubicles were installed, giving our customers and employees more privacy. All floor and wall coverings were redone in neutral tones.”
The biggest feature are the many new photos, enlarged and now displayed throughout the bank.
“Our artwork is the star of our bank, featuring over 70 historical photos,” added Ferrie.
~ Starting at 12 noon and running to 4 p.m. will be a Free Kiddie Corral. The area will have a Petting Zoo with over 20 animals, Face Painting by Amy, a Balloon Artist, Gold Rush, several Bouncy Houses, Rope-A-Pony, Knock ‘Em Down, cowboy hats and more! Just about everything a kid would want for one afternoon!
~ For the adults, from 2 to 6 p.m. will be Buffalo Alice Band, who offer a unique blend of country music with classic rock––all in three-part harmony. The group recently played at the Riceville Wapsi Day celebration and brought in a huge crowd!
There will be a break in the show as play will stop upon the Grand Parade starting at 4:30 p.m. with music again starting up following the parade.
~ Going from 2 to 4 p.m. will be the game “BANKO” with no entry fee and some nice prizes to possibly win. Games will also be played in the large tent after the meal, so come and enjoy the fun!
There will also be free shaved ice offered in the tent at this time.
~ At 5:15 p.m. the CUSB staff will offer a program, telling about the bank and introducing individuals, plus having some fun with the crowd and members of the bank.
“Our program will include some history about CUSB Bank and we will also be giving away some wonderful prizes,” pointed out Ferrie of what to expect at the program. “We will start around 5:15, or when the parade is done.”
~ From 6:30 to 9 p.m. CUSB will host Cory Farley in the Harvest Tent, located near Hwy. 9 by Ace Hardware.
Farley is known for his outstanding country prowess, playing throughout the midwest and Nashville, Tenn. areas. Cresco is fortunate to get him for the night, as he has a full schedule booked throughout the year.
“I love singing, but anybody can get up and sing a song and sound like the jukebox,” noted Farley in an earlier interview. “I was always into doing whatever it takes to make sure I knew that the crowd would go home that night with a great experience.”
A Decorah, IA native, Farley was raised on a beef farm. It was in 2010 that Cory set out to pursue a full-time music career in Nashville. He now has his own band and has since opened up for artists such as the Legendary Marty Stuart.
In early 2013, Farley signed a deal with RAYCON Entertainment and is now invading stages nationwide. With his signature voice, drive, and unforgettably wild shows, Farley is one musician to keep an eye on as his name ascends to stardom.
Harvest Fest Also Full
Besides all that CUSB has to offer, the Norman Borlaug Harvest Fest is equally as loaded in giving area residents and visitors four days of fun!
All four days will feature something of interest, opening up with an antique tractor show and closing the weekend with an Ice Cream Social.
Thursday, August 24
• 3-6 p.m. - Open Air Market taking place at Beadle Park on Hwy. 9.
• 4-7 p.m. - Accura HealthCare Antique Tractor Show. Also kids activities and a free meal.
Friday, August 25
• 4:30 p.m. - Opening Ceremonies at Beadle Park near the Norman Borlaug statue. Chamber members, along with the Harvest Fest Committee will officially open up the weekend!
• 5 to 6:30 p.m. - Crestwood High School new addition tours to take place. Come and see the new gymnasium and other additions to the facility.
• 5 to 10 p.m. - Beer Area Opens at the Harvest Fest Tent, located near Hwy. 9. Come and enjoy some great entertainment with a DJ and compete in the Puzzle competition with some Bingo also being called. Helping will be the Cresco VFW and Cresco Wildlife Clubs.
The Puzzle Contest will run from 6:30 to 8 p.m. with a $40 (4-person) entry fee, limited to just 10 teams. Prizes to the winners.
Saturday, August 26
• 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. - Come and enjoy the VFW All-You-Can-Eat Breakfast at the VFW Hall.
• 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. - Get your old vintage cars, trucks and motorcycles dusted off as the Cruise to Cresco Show will take place in downtown Cresco. Registration will be from 8:30 a.m. to 12 noon with a small entry fee. Cash Door Prizes of over $600 with 40 awards presented, all taking place at 2:30 p.m. with 10 classes.
• 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. - A nationally sanctioned Steak Cookoff Association (SCA) will take place at Beadle Park, featuring some of the best BBQ specialists in the world! The Cook-off will have many BBQ Chefs bring their “A Game” to their grill, as each will cook a steak with judges picking the winners. There will be a $1,000 payout to the winner, with prize money going to the top six. Awards will be handed out at 5 p.m.
• 9 a.m. - Quilts of Valor will be presented to several area veterans at Harvest Fest Tent.
• 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. - The first ever Pickleball Tournament will take place at Evans Park on the south side of town. The new Evans Courts will be where the tourney will take place. There will be three levels of play with “advanced” starting at 9 a.m., “intermediate” at 11 a.m. and “beginners” at 1 p.m. No entry fee required.
• 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. - The Cresco Theatre will hold an Open House, offering tours of the beautiful facility.
• 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. - There will be a Business Elm Street Market taking place throughout the downtown area, featuring area vendors and businesses in offering great deals.
• 10 a.m to 2 p.m. - Tours of the Norman Borlaug childhood farm, located near Protivin, will take place.
• 11 a.m. - The annual Regional Health Services Auxiliary Quilt Auction will take place offering some beautiful quilts (some hand-crafted) to the highest bidders! All will take place at the Harvest Fest Tent.
• 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. - CUSB will be serving lunch with the JR Brink Band playing!
• 12 noon to 4 p.m. - Enjoy some Kids Games, Bounce Houses and a Petting Zoo at the CUSB parking lot.
• 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. - Buffalo Alice playing at CUSB.
• 3 p.m. - Come and get it! The Veterans Steak and pork Loin Dinner will start serving at the VFW Hall. Must get advance tickets at the Chamber office. Steaks will be provided from the SCA cookoff!
• 4:30 p.m. - The Annual Harvest Fest Parade will start and run a different path this year due to downtown construction. All will be the same as in the past, but will run one-block over (going past the Howard County Sheriff’s Jail). All will start at the Crestwood High School and head west on 3rd Ave., go south on 2nd St. East and then to 1st Ave. East (back to the school). Honored as the Grand Marshals will be Gwen Boeke and Dale Holstrom.
• 5:15 p.m. - CUSB will hold their 135th Program at the CUSB parking lot.
• 6:30 to 9 p.m. - Sponsored by CUSB, Cory Farley will be playing in the Harvest Fest Tent. To finish off the night, a DJ will perform until 11 p.m.
Sunday, August 27
• 8 a.m. to 12 noon - Ranch Breakfast at the Cresco Country Club.
• 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. - The SCA Steak Cookoff will continue with another day of competition at Beadle Park. From 10 to 10:15 p.m. there will be a Kids Q Pizza event with crust and sauce provided. Awards will be handed out at 2 p.m.
• 12:30 p.m. - A Veterans Steak Dinner will take place at the VFW with advance tickets only. Steaks will be from the SCA cookoff!
• 2 p.m. - An Ice Cream Social will be held at the Kellow House Museum, located at 324 4th Ave. W in Cresco.
All in all, just come and have a great time at 2023 Norman Borlaug Harvest Fest and 135th CUSB celebration! Lots of great music, excellent food and just fun for the entire family!